Crimson Mate - Nikki McCoy I honestly loved this book. I was hooked from the beginning and didn't want to put the book down. For me, shifters are one of my favorite themes. I never get bored with them, although a majority of shifter stories are the same old, same old.

With this story, however, I felt like it was told in an entirely new way even if the bottom line is still the same shifter concept. The Ba'Kal are the shifters and the Vam'kir are the vampires/trancers. The whole history of the Ba'Kal and Vam'kir is explained within the story and even goes so far as to mix both races. I found that refreshing because how many stories out there have a being that's both vampire and shifter? Not many. I loved that Quinn was both and I loved that Manning was so patient with him. Quinn is fragile, suspicious and scared of what Manning is and has to offer. Manning, being the leader of the Ba'Kal, is possessive immediately of Quinn and goes pretty much on a hunt to find Quinn again when he loses him. I found their attraction together sweet because Manning won't push Quinn when it comes to being mates which I also found refreshing.

My only problem with the story is that I felt like the ending was too abrupt. The final conflict was over within a few paragraphs and then it skips right to something completely different so we didn't even get the calming of the chaos after the fight. I was a bit disappointed in that because I was looking to some serious head bashing when it came to the bad guys!

Overall, I loved the story. I'm desperately hoping there's going to be sequels because I would love to immerse myself back in this world! As it is, I know I'll reread this story again soon.