The Locker Room - Amy Lane 4.5 stars

I put off reading this book for such a long time because I heard certain things about it that I normally don't like to read about. Of course, like I'm sure every other person does, I blew these 'certain things' way out of proportion. I was expecting, and preparing myself, for something very specific and what I got instead was something completely different and nowhere near as bad as I thought.

This is a story about heartache and love. The kind of love that you'd do anything to keep, the forever kind of love. It's the love that you'd give up your dreams just to be with the other person and have them live their dream instead just to see them happy. It's the selfless kind of love.

I loved these characters. Xander is so emotionally broken that it's endearing and Chris is so willing to be Xan's rock that it's hard not to fall in love with these guys. It was nice to see them over the decade plus span of their relationship. It starts when they're teenagers and goes until they are in their late twenties/early thirties.

There are a lot of amazing things about this story. The trials and tribulations they go through were heartbreaking and made you just want to hug them. No man should ever have to go through hiding himself for the love a sport just because he's gay. While I did love the story and enjoyed it very much, I didn't exactly agree with why Xan and Chris started their '3rd home game of the month' deal. It seemed unnecessary to actually go through with it all. I'm sure there was another way for them to fake their way through. After all, they didn't actually need to do it just show that they could pick up woman. Thankfully, however, none of that is shown so I breathed a huge sigh of relief!

Still, while I didn't like that, I enjoyed it nonetheless because of how much Xan and Chris suffered. They started to slightly grow apart from it but it was only a matter of time before they realized what they were doing was stupid. I was a tad disappointed with the ending but only because I felt a little bit like I was left hanging. I don't like unanswered questions about what's going to happen next especially when the book kind of relies on what will happen next.

In the end, I felt a lot of emotions with this book. My heart clenched over and over with how hard Xan's life has been but there were such sweet moments between Xan and Chris that I couldn't help but smile. I loved the book, it was an amazing book even with the few faults I had. Xan and Chris have become one of my favorite couples and I really hope there's more to come from there, hopefully to show that their lives are getting better and happier. Definitely recommended.