Out in the Field

Out in the Field - Kate McMurray I'm conflicted about my feelings for this book. On one hand, I liked it but on the other I was frustrated by the lack of everything else aside from sex.

What attracted me to this story was the different elements within it. Matt and Iggy have a fourteen year age difference and I've always been fond of age gap stories. I also loved the fact this is based around baseball because I am a (somewhat) baseball fan. Add into it that these boys were both hot and intense and it makes for a good read.

However, there were a lot of things that bugged me about this book. Matt and Iggy have this incredible connection between them but there was also something missing from their relationship that just felt off to me. Matt is also a pretty well fleshed out character but Iggy is very shallow. There wasn't much depth to him so the story felt off-balanced because Matt was talked about so much while Iggy felt more of a secondary character than the main character he was. I was also disappointed in the lack of baseball in the story. I was expecting the story to be completely around baseball and while it is to a point, it's not detailed on actual baseball. We get details about the locker room, how they have to go out of town for games, the hotels and such but only one or two scenes of them actually out in the field which I found extremely ironic. My biggest problem with the story, and I think the reason I felt like something was missing, is how much sex there is. Whenever the author had an opportunity to flesh out the characters, she tended to let them have sex instead. It grew frustrating because I wanted to know more about the characters. Instead, I learned more about their pleasure spots and I'm sorry but I prefer more depth to characters than more depth to sex.

In the end, I liked the book. The plot is great, the characters are interesting and even the conflict within the story is fascinating because of how Matt and Iggy deal with it. But the story wasn't able to grab my attention in the way it could have because it's a good part sex and lacks the necessary details to make the characters into seem like real people. Even with the connection between Iggy and Matt, there didn't feel like a general understanding of who the other person was deep down. What's there is more of a sexual connection than anything else. At least, that's what I got from the story.