Falling Into Place - Tia Fielding This review can be found at The Armchair Reader.

First, I just want to say how beautiful the cover is. I found it fascinating and once I saw it, I had to know if the serenity of the cover and on the man’s face would be portrayed as such in the book and, to my greatest relief, it was.

The blurb does a pretty good job of explaining the situations within the story so I don’t think it’s necessary to reiterate it especially without giving away too many spoilers. With that said, the author did a great job of conveying the theory that no matter what you think, in the end, it’s your heart that will decide on who you love and that we should accept that fact, be open to that fact and embrace that fact. This story proved to be an incredible journey about self-discovery and healing, courage and acceptance.

One thing I really loved about this book was how different Milo and Scott were. Milo wasn’t a closeted gay Dom like some characters turn out to be in BDSM, and in fact he felt uncomfortable at just thinking of hurting Scott in any way, so the fact he couldn’t satisfy Scott like he wanted was an extreme conflict. His pleasure was derived from Scott’s pleasure but overall, Milo was such a sweet, loving individual for someone so young. He was there to help Scott, to cherish him but he wasn’t there to solve Scott’s problems for him… he was there to solve Scott’s problems with him. Scott was just the right amount of emotionally damaged to make it believable. Being a submissive, he needs a firm hand, someone to guide him when he can’t do it himself but more than that, he loves to please someone in the most simplest of ways even if it’s by just knowing how much they’d appreciate their morning coffee when they get into work. It was heartbreaking seeing him fall apart but it was heartwarming to see Milo catch him and know exactly what Scott needed at any given time but what made this story especially great for me was how well I connected with the characters. I felt what they felt, experienced what they experienced and that right there made the book very special to me.

The story deals with a lot of conflicts from divorce to loss to discovery to compromise. While a lot happens, it doesn’t seem rushed. The author did a great job of incorporating just the right amount of emotions to make the scene feel real but without making them seem abrupt or rushed. I think one of the main messages within the story is that love is built on compromise and the heart wants what it wants. Neither Scott nor Milo were gay nor liked the same sex level but they both compromised and met in the middle to find a successful way of living that was satisfying to both of them. I won’t go on and say this book was perfect because it’s not. In some aspects, the acceptance level was too unrealistic to be believable especially put into context with the problems some people had originally but beyond that, this story was a captivatingly beautiful read.

In the end, I truly loved the book, warts and all. I’m already planning to order it in paperback because I loved it so much. It’s angsty but not too angsty. Sweet but not overly so. It’s a fascinating story that covers multiple issues but a story the author handled with grace where the friendship and subsequent love showed through the pages. An exceptional read based on my subjective opinion, of course ;)