Impractical - Megan Derr 3.5 stars

I love Megan Derr's books but for some reason I couldn't get into this one.

It is an intriguing story. I adored the world it's based around and the acceptance of same-sex marriages. I've always liked historical settings in fantasy or alternate universes but only when there's no bigotry regarding gay men. With this story, I really enjoyed the fact arranged marriages were made between men so often.

This story follows two couples - Kirian/Evelyn and Terrell/Edlin. The characters are interesting, though, and completely different. Terrell is all about logic while Edlin is all about living life. Kirian is all about emotion while Evelyn is all about being cold. It was fun seeing how the couples clashed and I did enjoy how they managed to make their respective relationships work. I also liked that all four characters grew over the course of the book and we got to see a different side to each of them by the end.

Sadly, I felt like the story dragged in the middle. It was hard for me to get back into the book after putting it down for a bit. Also, there were scenes I was looking forward to reading about (Evelyn/Kirian's wedding, Terrell/Edlin's engagement and more) that were skipped over. I think it would have been interesting to see how these complete strangers managed to make those events work. However, while I struggled with the story for a while, the ending is absolutely fabulous. I adored it because we were able to get a glimpse of what both couples are up to now.

All in all, not a bad story but not the best, IMO. The ending definitely made the story worth the struggle and I only wish we got to see more of the cute little ones now in the picture.