The Dog in the Mist - Sylvia A. Winters This review can be found at The Armchair Reader.

2.5 stars

Dorian is leading a very lonely and depressing life. A year ago, his best friend, Evan, disappeared without a trace and now he’s just lost his Gran. He can’t seem to find the motivation to appreciate life anymore. Unfortunately, his life starts to get very weird when he’s stalked by a big black dog that seems to bring death whenever it shows itself. When he dies, he’s given an opportunity to live again, he just has to complete one task. While doing this, he realizes the black dog that’s helping him might not be just a strange dog but someone he actually knows.

This was a hard book to read. I struggled for more than half of it. Dorian is a rather depressing individual since the story starts while he’s grieving over his Gran, in addition to grieving for Evan. His sister, Vicky, forces him to get on with his life and start living again. From the start, though, the author makes it hard to like Dorian and Evan. Dorian comes across as very dark and pines after Evan, while Evan is a complete bastard throughout the story. With that said, the story eventually becomes interesting when the fae get involved and forces Dorian to grow a backbone and save Evan.

We don’t actually meet Evan until almost the end but this story had a lot of flashbacks. Unfortunately, these flashbacks hindered the story instead of helped it move along. They were a struggle to get through because sometimes they didn’t even progress the story at all. What they ended up doing, however, was putting Evan in a bad light, showing how much of a jerk he was to not only Dorian, who was supposed to be his best friend, but to everyone else. A good portion of the book was hard to get through but, thankfully, it picks up towards the end. When I reached the point where Dorian was no longer dwelling on the past, I started to like the story a bit more (although there are still flashbacks, they aren’t as frequent). The added action that Dorian goes through boosted my enjoyment and slightly made up for my dislike of the beginning. Also, I found the ending very sweet.

In the end, this was an okay read. I can’t say that I’d recommend it because most of it was very hard endure. I was never one for flashbacks, especially ones that did not move the story along, so those were my least favorites parts of the book. The story is interesting if you can get passed the first half and finally get into the meat of the plot and I was intrigued by the world that Dorian was thrust into, as well as, what he found out about himself. There are good things and bad things to the story, so I’ll leave it up to the reader to decide if it is something they want to try.