Red Envelope - Howard Shen This review can be found at The Armchair Reader.

3.5 stars

Aidan Wu has is celebrating the Chinese New Year with his parents when he briefly meets Officer Zane Wells for the first time. From there, one incident after another seems to push Aidan and Zane into seeing each other. After their third meeting, Zane finally acts on his attraction to Aidan and they start their fledgling relationship. With a little push from fireworks to seizures to Chinese mothers, their connection might just turn into something real.

This was a very amusing and quirky story that I really enjoyed. The characters are a lot of fun in that Aidan is put into these situations where he’s either frazzled or shocked and in swoops Zane to help him through his troubles. I liked how easy going and likable they both were. I’m not quite sure how to describe it but while they were both ordinary characters, there was something about both of them that shined, which made me adore them even though there’s not much depth to either.

I really liked this short story but I felt like it was too short. More development and detail to the family, their relationship and possibly to the culture would have made this read much more entertaining than it already was. I liked how it seemed as if Fate had a role in getting these two to constantly meet up but I really wish that the scenes with them getting to know each other would have been shown instead of told.

Overall, I really enjoyed this one. It’s cute and sweet but has some quirky moments. It’s a well-written story and I adored the author’s voice and the style in which this was written in. I’m hoping we’ll get to see more of Aidan and Zane one day because I feel like their story is just beginning.