Contact Sport - Anna Butler This review can be found at The Armchair Reader.

3.5 stars

This was an adorable, slightly funny story about Jamie, a star college hockey player, who has to play against a bunch of nerds at the request of the college Dean. Ranting about the ridiculousness of the situation, Jamie expects to wipe the floor with the geeks and be done with it. What he doesn’t expect is to meet the prettiest man he’s ever seen, the captain of the geeks team, Matt. It’s love at first sight for Jamie but not only is Matt gorgeous but he’s also a very talented hockey player, who shatters all Jamie’s stereotypical assumptions.

I had a lot of fun with this short story. When you meet Jamie, he’s very arrogant and confident and speaks in a very stereotypical way. However, it isn’t long before all those stereotypes get thrown out the window. In fact, I’d say this whole story revolves around destroying the stereotypes surrounding jocks and geeks because not only is Matt, the ‘geek’, he’s gorgeous too but Jamie, the ‘jock’, is extremely smart and Mathematically focused. I found the Math talk so amusing, I couldn’t help but smile and chuckle during Jamie’s running dialogues! I loved that Jamie was so focused on being able to kill Matt’s team in the rink and then realized Matt’s team had a lot of skill. I loved that there was an immediate connection between Jamie and Matt. They’re very cute and hot together!

This one had a lot of potential, though. I was really enjoying it and the way that Jamie was affected by Matt. However, while I really liked the story, I felt like it was incomplete. The pacing and the actions of both Jamie and Matt were entertaining and fun but then the story just ends with Matt walking away leaving it very open. Not really a promise of tomorrow, no definite plans to meet up again, just a hopeful, maybe see you in the Library. I felt like it was at odds with the rest of the short story and the way that Jamie was acting towards Matt and his almost obsessive attention. Although we don’t get to know much of Matt as a character, it was clear that Matt was obviously affected by Jamie, too, which made the ending baffling for me. In general, this story could have been much longer, more fleshed out but even just a little bit more to the ending would have made this an HFN instead of the bittersweet ending it feels like.

Overall, I really liked the story and if this had been much longer, I’d have loved it. The abrupt, almost bittersweet ending dimmed my enjoyment, though. There are so many layers to Matt and Jamie we didn’t get to see (especially the part where they start a relationship) that this story could have been much longer and ultimately better. I really hope there’s a sequel to come because I’d love to see more of Matt and Jamie and get a proper ending to their journey.