A Boy and His Dragon (Being - R. Cooper In some ways, I enjoyed this story more than the previous story, [b:Some Kind of Magic|11151607|Some Kind of Magic|R. Cooper|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1349055846s/11151607.jpg|16075339]. They are actually two different types of stories set in the same world and not really related. Where [b:Some Kind of Magic|11151607|Some Kind of Magic|R. Cooper|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1349055846s/11151607.jpg|16075339] was fun and intense that contained a mystery, this one is sultry and slow and deals almost exclusively around just Arthur and Bertie. I loved that their relationship had so much time to develop because it showed both characters at their weakest and their strongest.

Arthur is a conflicted character. He's just an ordinary, boring human with a love of history and a lot of financial problems. Bertie, though, is flighty and rich and doesn't really understand the concept of having to work two jobs just to pay the rent. Still, that doesn't stop Bertie from seeing Arthur as more than just a skinny, underfed man. Instead, Bertie sees Arthur as his treasure, which Arthur doesn't really understand. Their relationship is strictly business for most of the story but there's always that undercurrent of Bertie flirting and Arthur getting flustered by Bertie's presence. I thought the slow-burn was very well done and made me feel like Arthur and Bertie really knew each other before things escalated.

Unfortunately, while I loved their relationship, I can't deny that Arthur had a lot of inner monologue that turned repetitive at times. Normally, I don't have a problem with this but I found his constant guilt and need to turn things over and over made the story drag a bit. When you think about it, it's very realistic because what person doesn't think things through too much? But it came to the point that it got too heavy for me to read. So in that respect, it made the book difficult to get through at times. While I also loved Bertie and all his dragon ways, I missed the fact that we don't get many opportunities to see his actual dragon form. Also, I feel like I should warn readers that this also has a great deal of information on different cultures. Some readers, I know, don't like that sort of thing, so forewarning.

Overall, I liked the book. The characters and their relationship was intriguing and I can't deny hot. When they finally got together, it was definitely intense but Arthur's inner monologue was just too much for me. Regardless, I really love this world so I hope we get to see more of it soon.