How to Repair a Mechanical Heart - J.C. Lillis This was an adorable story. I loved how it showed Brandon and Abel through their whole road trip as they follow the Castaway Planet convention and everything they get up to.

Compared to Abel, Brandon is the wet blanket in this story. He's not as adventurous or confident as Abel. He's a sweet, polite kid but he also has a funny sense of humor. Abel, on the other hand, is a bit manic and does whatever he wants without a second thought. Abel is laid-back while Brandon is more closed off. The two are so cute together you just want to pinch their cheeks.

I loved that this book got so deep into the fandom of Castaway Planet. The almost obsession over Castaway Planet and its characters. It was hilarious how much these fans went crazy over this show. More than that, I liked that Brandon was freaking out that some other fans were going to kill him. He got a bit melodramatic but it was seriously hilarious.

The only thing I didn't like about this book was the ending. It felt abrupt to me (they don't even have a make-up kiss!) but it also felt open ended. I still have unanswered questions like what will happen next and about the whole "Father Mike" thing but more than that, I didn't feel like the resolution to Brandon and Abel lived up to the rest of the story. It felt too quick and easy, IMO.

All in all, a very cute, coming of age story about friendship and acceptance. There were some really funny parts but overall, the writing is good and the pacing makes it seem like you're reading faster than you are. Definitely recommended and hopefully there will be a sequel one day because it doesn't feel 'finished' to me.